Monday, January 29, 2007

Dungeons and Dragons, LIFE, and Choose-your-own-adventure book.

Dungeons and Dragons DVD: I thought that a choose your own adventure DVD was a really good idea for an interactive media peice. With the right equipment and software, anyone could easily make their own. I liked the idea that more than one person also got to choose what was going to happen. You could definitely have more than one person interacting with a DVD like this one in an installation, which would make things interesting when a wrong choice led to the death of the characters (when it happened in class, everyone turned on the person who made that decision, and by the time it was my turn, I didn't want to choose the wrong decision myself).

LIFE: I still haven't played the newer version of LIFE, but I played the 70's version, and thought it was very funny to see how salaries, etc. have changed. In the game, a doctor only made 25,000 salary. The game was largely interactive since you had to step on someone to get ahead at least once in the game. People take it personally when you take their fake money away. It's ridiculous. This game would be harder to make into an interactive installation, only 'cause people wouldn't want (or have the time) to sit down and play the game for an hour or so. The only thing I could think of would be to turn the whole room that the installation was in into a LIFE board, so that each step someone took, they could see what their carreer is, when they get paid, etc.

Choose-your-own-adventure Book: These were really interesting since I haven't actually been able to read one yet. The first time I read through, I must have chosen all the right choices, 'cause I defeated the scary mansion and saved the day in about 2 minutes. The other times I purposefully tried to do everything wrong, and I was still able to save the day. It seems like it was impossible to lose. I think if we were to do an installation on a CYOA book, I would make it impossible to win.

No comments: